Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Explanation

The more that I have sat around wasting time between posts, the more I realize that I have mislead all six of my readers. The story behind "the other 95%" is not so much a story, but an explanation. And it probably isn't that interesting to anyone besides me and Mary. But I figured I would clear the air so that people don't think I am completely ridiculous. . .

The term "The Other 95%" derives from conversations held between myself and a friend and colleague at work, Mary. She sits in the cube adjacent to mine and we get along great. As a result, there are are countless episodes of intellectual (and nonintellectual) conversation between the two of us. When you throw in a couple trips to the local tavern for a pint and the fact that I have a big mouth, you come up with a lot of chats among coworkers and friends. For those of you who know me, I tend to be a tad bit off. I like to sit on that fine line between "Normal" and "What the $#@%?!!" Because of this, there have been times where things have shot out of my mouth that even make me wonder where the hell I thought of that. They are just not things that normal people say. I guess Mary has noticed this diarrhea of the mouth and one day she pointed it out to me. I honestly cannot remember what I said. I do know that it was far enough out there to get a response that was probably something like, "Flick, I have no idea where you come up with some of that stuff." My response, instead of agreeing, was to tell Mary that she only hears about 5% of what is going on in my brain. (Imagine corny pointing gestures towards head.) And thus, we have "The Other 95%". "The Other 95%" consists of all those thoughts and ideas that teeter over the edge of normality and how they form a collection of bizarre and random words that spill out of my mouth.

See? I told you the "story" (if you can call it that) was less spectacular than I had made it out to be. I apologize for that. However, I think the idea is important enough for me to highlight it. You all know me. You all know how I can and have acted around each one of you. Sometimes, I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer and it shows. Sometimes my randomness could not be explained. Until the year 2007, the absurd nature of the Flick was undefined. Now we have a name for it. "The Other 95%".

As for the blog. . . last night I made the mistake of drinking large quantities of iced tea with dinner. Because of this, I spent several hours in bed trying to sleep, but instead staring at the green dot on my phone that let me know that it was charging. I do this far more than I would like to admit. Iced tea = highly caffeinated. Caffeine = good way to stay awake. Therefore, iced tea late at night = terrible idea. But I do it anyways. But as I was laying in bed, I was brainstorming ideas for this blog. I have not been very excited about the lack of posts in the last few months and it is my goal to change that for this year. My night of iced tea induced restlessness has at least given me enough ideas to get this thing rolling. Let's see how this goes!

To the next post,
Mike

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike! Wow it's been a long time since I've talked to you! I am so rarely on facebook anymore that it seems I've lost touch with a lot of people. Anyway - a few things - first of all - congratulations on the marriage! That's awesome and it's so much fun! Next - good explanation on the title of your blog (I came upon your blog by chance - Jeff G. sent me the link to his, and then I clicked a couple other links, and 'voila' there was your's!). Finally - the Wii is totally amazing like you said. If you haven't yet played Tony Hawk for the Wii, I can give you some caution. I got both the 'Proving Grounds' game and the 'Downhill Jam' game. I have only played Proving Grounds thus far, and it is definitely a lot of fun, but sometimes the controls don't work very consistently. I read some reviews on the game, and that was the major thing they bash on - that for a Wii release, they should have put a little more time in getting the motion controls perfected (at least more-so than they are). But I did hear that the downhill jam game is kind of fun... different way to play a tony hawk game I guess. Well just wanted to drop by and say 'hi' - hope all is well!

Kevin Z said...

lol, looks like I have some competition for my blog name! Somehow I don't think our readers will confuse us that easily.